Fit For Golf 12 Week Off Season Program
Skip the info & purchase below on Trainerize.
If you have any questions, or are interested to find out more about the program please read on. You can also check out this promo to see just a small sample of some of the things you can expect to see in the program.
- Improve Golf Specific Fitness: By implementing exercises that target the “5 Pillars of Golf Strength & Conditioning”, after completion of the program you will likely:
- Considerably increase club head speed – a key component in how far you can hit each club. Club head speed also has a strong correlation with handicap.
- Be able to make mechanically sounder and more efficient golf swings.
- Reduce injury potential & help clear up nagging injuries.
What are the 5 Pillars of Golf Strength & Conditioning?
- Motor control – The ability to sync up your brain and body to make the movement you desire.
- Mobility – The ability to move your body through a certain range of motion in a particular movement. Often referred to as flexibility, but they are not the same thing.
- Stability – The ability to maintain a position while a force is trying to disrupt it. Essential for maintaining balance and distribution of weight during the swing.
- Strength – Horsepower – how much force we can produce, in a particular movement.
- Rate of Force Development – How quickly we can apply force aka strength in a particular movement (speed / power in layman’s terms).
Improve Body Composition & General Fitness, and Health:
- While golf specific fitness programs are excellent for improving swing quality & performance they are often not the best programs for improving body composition. This program is different. Body composition is simply how your total body weight is proportioned between muscle and fat. The vast majority of people would benefit from decreasing fat mass, and increasing muscle mass.
- Many people freak out when they read “increase muscle mass” because they immediately think of bulking up like bodybuilders and losing mobility. This is not what we are aiming for, and is not going to happen on this program. The combination of training provided in this plan is designed to allow you shed excess body fat while simultaneously developing your muscle contraction speed, strength, mobility, and endurance. Toned, lean, defined, strong muscles are the images you should have as opposed to The Hulk or some massively bulked up bodybuilder.
- Most golf fitness programs lack sufficient training volume (amount) and intensity (effort level) to elicit meaningful changes in body composition. This is understandable as large improvements in swing performance can be made without engaging in training with a strong enough stimulus to elicit changes in body composition.
- One of main reasons for the typical lower volume in golf specific training programs is because during periods of competitive play it’s very important that physical training does not lead to muscle soreness or fatigue that may affect golf practice or play.
- The off season gives us a perfect window where we can increase the physical training volume & intensity, allowing for higher levels of physical fitness to be attained without worrying about disrupting competitive play. Once this concentrated block of training is complete, it is quite easy to maintain the fitness gains with a lower volume & intensity of training than it took to develop them, while also transitioning back into more practice and play if desired.
The benefits of improving body composition are potentially huge for both general health, fitness, and golf. Here is a selection of some of the top ones:
- Lowering body fat levels is an excellent way of helping prevent a whole host of cardiovascular and metabolic diseases. Diabetes, heart disease, etc.
- Increasing muscle mass is vital to prevent “Sarcopenia” the loss of muscle mass with age. Speed, power, strength, and muscle mass drop rapidly as we age which leads to a whole host of undesirable changes to both our golf game and general quality of life. On the golf course, decreases in mobility and club head speed (aka distance), while in our everyday lives basic tasks like walking, climbing stairs,carrying heavy loads, sitting to standing, and general chores become much more difficult. You might not notice anything now but this is what’s awaiting you unless you take action. The sooner the better. Luckily we can HUGELY offset these changes with appropriate training and nutrition. It’s also never too late to start, improvements can be made at any age.
- I think most of us will be willing to admit we would have more confidence and a better self image if we were in better shape, and more content with how we looked.
- Help you clear up and prevent nagging injuries.
- Educate and excite you about physical training.
I want to help you become healthier, fitter, & better at golf, while playing it and enjoying it as much as possible, for as long as possible.
- 12 week program – split into 3 x 4 week phases.
- Each phase has 3 workouts. Workout A, B, & C. You do each workout once per week for 4 weeks. Then move onto the next phase.
- Please take note of the prescribed set and rep protocol for each workout in the calendar section of the app or by viewing the notification that is sent to you for each workout. The sets and reps change weekly. Instructions on how to change the weight based on the sets and reps are included. Choosing to “check in” or “track” workout will take care of this for you too.
Example Week (Phase 1):
Monday: Phase 1 Workout A,
Wednesday: Phase 1 Workout B,
Friday: Phase 1 Workout C.
Repeat for 4 weeks.
After repeating this sequence for 4 weeks you would then move onto Phase 2 and repeat Phase 2 Workouts A, B, & C for 4 weeks. Finally, after 4 weeks of Phase 2, you will move onto Phase 3.
You will see the workout is composed of 5 “supersets”, which are mini circuits. You complete the prescribed sets / rounds of each superset, before moving onto the next superset.
Phase 1 Workout A Example (Superset 3).
Below is an example of how you will see your workout appear on the app.
“Superset of 3 rounds”
- Squat (Eccentric Emphasis) x 8 reps
- Single Leg Deadbug x 6-10 reps each side
- Assisted Chin-up (Eccentric Emphasis) x 3-6 reps
For this superset you would do one set of Squats (Eccentric Emphasis), then one set of Single Leg Deadbug, then one set of Assisted Chin-ups. This is one “superset” done. You would then go back to Squats (Eccentric Emphasis) and start the second superset of this series of exercises. Repeat this sequence for the prescribed number of supersets.
Check out this video to see the user interface on the Fit For Golf App:
- Can the workout be done from home?
Yes, absolutely. I was very aware that many of the potential users of this program would be interested in doing it from home. To get maximum benefit from home I suggest the following equipment:
- Medicine Ball: LINK I recommend a 6 or 8lb ball for most people.
- Dumbbells: The weight will vary for different exercises but pairs of 20lb and 30lb would work well for most people.
- Resistance Bands: LINK I like these ones from GolfGym. They can be used to replicate any of the exercises done on a cable machine in the gym. They are also perfect for people who travel a lot.
- TRX Suspension Straps Equivalent OR Pull-up Bar: TRX Style Suspension Straps / Pull-up Bar
- Dowel Rod / PVC Pipe / Broom Handle (4-6 feet in length)
- What fitness level is this program designed for?
The program can be easily scaled to just about any fitness level. It is easily modifiable and has been used successful with golfers of vastly different fitness levels, playing abilities, and ages.
- I have an injury to my ___________, can I still do the program?
Regardless of the injury you have (unless very acute and serious), there is almost certainly large parts of the program you will be able to do and benefit from. When done appropriately the program could also serve as great rehab.
- Can I buy the program now, and do it at a later date?
Yes, after you buy it just e-mail me the date you would like to start. You get 16 weeks access to the 12 week program from your start date. This gives you some cushion in case you miss workouts and need to get back on track.
- Once I buy the program do I have permanent access to the app?
No, you get 16 weeks access to the app from the start date of your program. In the “description” section of your program there is a link to access and download an Excel Copy of the Program with YouTube video links to each exercise. This can serve as your permanent copy. One week before your program access on the app expires, you will receive an auto message with the option to extend your program access on the app for $9 per month. This $9 per month is completely separate and optional from the initial program payment, and can be cancelled at any time.
- Can the workouts be printed so I can take them to the gym?
Yes printable workout sheets can be printed if you log into your account via www.fitforgolf.trainerize.com. Go into a workout and just click on the printer icon in the top right hand corner of the screen.
If you have any questions please let me know.